Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Convergence

Do you know Ricky Tims Convergence Quilts? Man, I LOVE them. I've made a few tops in my day using his method of stacking and *sorta* weaving the fabrics into each other. These two pictures below are not too big in real life. I think with a border or two, they could be a good wall-hanging size. The black and white one is much bigger than the blue, though.


Its the same method to make both of the blocks above. Crazy, right? Its similar to the Bargello Method in that, once you have your basic size, you slice strips in varying widths to give you varying looks.

I used the convergence to make a big block (about 16" square) from some left over layer cake (10" square) pieces. Left over from what, you ask? Well, you'll have to wait and see. But in the mean time, I can show you the block and evolution of a cute cute new bag-

And from here, I used my Book Bag pattern (not yet available, but totally in the works!) to make a quilty fun pink, green and brown bag.

And because I had exactly 8 layer cake squares left over, I totally made a convergence for the back of the bag too.

Like the other book bags, this one sports a ribbon closure and a zipper pocket. This one actually, also has two drop in pockets way down inside there, but they didn't photo so well. You'll just have to trust me, they're in there.

Oh and the layer cake was Basic Grey Sultry by Moda. It has excellent greens, browns and pinks in the mix there. Every bit as beautiful as their scrapbooking papers.

So that's my bag and that's what I've done with my leftovers. AND that's how I think I'll be using many more orphan blocks I have in my stash of "not quite a UFO because there are no other "O"s for it to coordinate with" pile.

~jen~
Share/Bookmark

No comments: