Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wonky Hex Quilt ala Log Cabin Style

And we're officially back to the regular sewing and quilting posts. I hope you enjoyed the market/festival {Houston 2010} recaps.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was dreaming up this HEX-based quilt block using the Wonky Log Cabin construction method on Tall Grass Prairie's blog. I suppose it only loosely follows the Wonky Log Cabin tutorial, but in my mind it totally works.
And as you know, I sew a bit with military uniforms. This USAF block/design goes out to my sweet hubbs, who recently washed his uniforms with a PEN in the shirt pocket. This particular block isn't made from his, but its only a matter of time.

I made the small quilt out of blue + white fabric scraps, United States Air Force military uniform (ABU) and an IKEA white cotton sheet. The whole thing, as its pictured, measures about 24" square. The military fabric center hexagon is 3" on one side. I then improvise-pieced the fabric around the center hex so that they'd measure 3 1/2" from the first hex seam. {{see the picture below}} The large pieced hexagon is about 12" tall from one parallel side to the other. And about 7" long on each side.

It follows the tutorial in that you add a piece or two of fabric, then trim. Then add some more and trim. The main thing that, I think, keeps this looking like a Wonky Log Cabin style Hexagon, rather than a traditional crazy quilt is (1) color (2) setting and (3) keeping the outer edges parallel to the original starting hex.

Once the hex block was "big enough" (read: running out of blue scraps) I pressed all the edges 1/4" folded towards the wrong side. Then I machine appliqued the hex to a 15 1/2" plain white block.
Sure, I still need to quilt it, but I was so excited to share it with you, I just couldn't wait.

As the wheels are turning, I'm thinking it'd be super fun to do a whole rainbow block quilt where each Wonky Hex was from one color family... but I'm already low on blue scraps, so who knows how this will shake down. =)


Thank goodness for Photoshop (or EQ7) to test the ideas, right.

If you like little hexies projects, stay tuned because after Thanksgiving, I've got a fun QUICK 3-pack of tutorials for you.

If you make it, feel free to share it in the ReannaLily Designs Flickr pool.
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

VEry cute, I love hexes..but hate puttng those extra sides together. Have a bag of them...there must be an easier way.

Marilyn W said...

Hey! This looks awesome...love the hexie row rainbow quilt...can you set it on a black background and see how the colors pop off of it? I'd love to make one and make "Colleen formerly of South Africa" quilt it. hahahaha Bet she'd do an awesome job!!!

Marilyn W.
Currently of Starkville, MS

Lauren The Artist said...

Thanks guys!

jacquie said...

go jen! totally great adaptation!