Friday, September 3, 2010

Mug Rug Swap 2 point OH

I made the my first draft of the mug rug a few days ago. Man, this swap is strangely inspiring. How fun would it be to have an entire quilt based on some tableware inspiration?

I decided to make another mug rug to match my orange cup. But after thinking about it a bit, I wanted my rug to have a spoon rest. I included quilter's vinyl (distributed by C&T Publishing) to cover one of my fabric squares. This will work as the spoon rest. I'm not too concerned about staining, overall, since I'll probably be mixing mostly hot chocolates. I took the picture below, with the glare, on purpose so you could see the vinyl.

Then I went to my cabinet and found another graphic mug to work from. Its a mug I picked up at the 1000Won store in Korea. (1000Won Store is our Dollar Store) I used Steam-a-Seam and fabric scraps for the rug.


Y'all know I have an aversion to quilting in colored thread, but I'm looking to branch out. In both samples, I quilted in colored thread. Orange in the first rug and black (GASP!) in the second rug. I think it looks pretty cool. Baby steps...

And a third... or wait.. fourth... {{Someone stop me!}} ... A snowman mug and a rug with green snowflakes.


The Snowman Mug is from the thrift store. Yes, I went to the thrift store with the express purpose of picking up some interesting mugs. You don't want to know how many I found for $.29/ea...

Update: Each rug of mine, measures about 6" x 10".
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Sherry said...

HOW CUTE ARE THEY THESE WOULD MAKE GREAT GIFTS. WHAT IS THE FINISH SIZE OF THE MUG RUGS. I THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE SOME.

Kristy said...

They look really great. What a great idea.

Susan said...

Your work is wonderful! How do you get everything to match so well! Aren't they fun to make!

free indeed said...

These are sooo cute! You certainly have a flair for coming up with the matching style of the mug rug...I'm VERY impressed! I couldn't do as well as that!

logo mugs said...

awesome rugs so cute.i think i m going to have make some.