Sunday, July 11, 2010

Another Test Project


While on vacation my mother-in-law introduced me to this book called Hooked On Feathers by Sally Terry. Oh man, its a really cool, adaptable quilting technique. I needed something small on which to test the hooked feather quilting. I've been drawing this style of feathers for a few days now. I decided to test the hooked feather quilting on two small squares....



I cheaped-out and didn't even add a backing piece of fabric to my quilted square. I had to take the photo from the back, though, since the fabric is orange with orange quilting thread. The zig-zag blue line is a result recycling batting pieces. (Seriously cheaped-out) I butted the straight ends together and joined them with a zig zag stitch to make a larger, usable piece.

I took those two squares, made them the actual same size (after they were quilted). Well, of course it didn't stop there. (it never does) I decided that I needed to make a purse. GASP! - I know....

I also wanted to try a recessed zipper closure. Perfect opportunity! I don't have a tutorial for the recessed zipper closure on the ReannaLily Designs blog, but there are plenty on the web. I didn't follow any one tutorial, but rather I used the basic idea and added into my sizes. If I had to make it again, I'd make the zipper deeper into the lining side of the bag. I think its too close to the top edge, even though technically, its recessed.

It was all-in-all a good practice day and fun to sew something totally random. Lovely Sunday afternoon. No pattern. No real direction. Just grabbing pieces- like 30's repro and HOT orange + white polka dots.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And the best part-
My 10yo making a purse on MY original sewing machine, right next to me in the studio! She picked out all the fabrics; some from the scrap bin, some from the shelves. She did the piecing, the ironing, the pinning... everything... who knows what's next?

Good times.
Share/Bookmark

No comments: