Sunday, November 8, 2009

Scene in Person


Everyone knows that many things are better when seen in person than they are in pictures... um except maybe poisonous snakes, or sharks or volcanoes. ...come to think of it, I really don't like pictures of snakes all that much... anywhoo...



International Quilt Festival: Quilt Scene arrived at my house this week. Of course, we just moved, so my mail has been forwarded. I think most of the other contributors to the magazine received their copies a short bit ago. I've seen a few posts on a few blogs related to "LOOK! I just got my copy" and - Thank goodness the mail forwarding actually worked out fine. - I too have MY copy.

My two little projects, a table runner and napkin rings, received 4 PAGES in the magazine. I'm so thrilled.

Here's how the process went down: When I first submitted my project idea (napkin rings) via email, I was hopeful. Time passed and I thought- they'll probably pass on it. Then, after about 3 months, I receive an email saying they liked the napkin rings and would like to make a 1/2 page article on them. WOWSA!

The brainstorming started and the ideas kept coming and after talking with the editor, I submitted the table runner as a companion to my napkin rings. I drafted up the design for the table runner, scanned it, made it pretty in Photoshop and Illustrator, and the editor approved it. (The image below is the computer generated design file of the table runner, which I submitted via email.)



One thing- the REAL table runner had to be submitted within about 1 week of the approval of the electronic design. {That is not the norm at all, its just how it happened to work out this time.} Not a problem.... OH- EXCEPT YES, the town I lived in (at the time) didn't have a great fabric shop, didn't carry Anna Maria Horner's Chocolate Lollipop OR the enormous rick-rack AND we were heading out on summer vacation that week. It actually worked out beautifully. I was able to pick up the supplies at cities along the way to my family's house and while on our summer vacation, I was able to sew the table runner. Thank goodness I have so many stitchers in the family!!!! (Thanks for letting me use the Bernina, Colleen!!!)

I mailed the whole set off on July 5th. And here we are. It was a super exciting process. I definitely want to try it again.

And now, with the magazine in my hot little hands- did you see the other designers in there?? Oh my gosh!! I'm so flattered to be in the same pages as Malka Dubrawsky, Kathy Mack, Susan Brubaker Knapp, Patrica Bravo, Kaffe Fassett, Paula Prass and Bari J just to name a few. I cannot believe it.

Now I'm off to curl up with some lemon poppyseed cake, decaf, and a fancy-schmancy magazine this morning!
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Jen...many many congratulations...thank you so much for sharing the process. With so many magazines now it might be possible for we sewers at home to submit things we are confident of...if you know what i mean!

You deserve to be in the company of the others...they are artisans as are you ...well done!

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you!!

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

Congrats girlfriend!!
dawn