Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Tiny Home Improvement

I purchased a cloth, white shower curtain for my kids' bathroom. I cannot remember which discount retailer I purchased it from, but it looks just like a hotel curtain- and washable, which should help with the mildew/cleaning. Only one problem... its plain white.

Never fear! I have a bit of fabric scraps to add to the curtain. Let me show you how I did it.

My idea was to scatter a few chunky squares/rectangles on the front. First, I rotary cut fabric scraps into squares of random sizes and pressed a 1/2" fold around all 4 edges of each block.


(Sorry about the light in these photos. I'm still working with the nuances of the new studio window.) Below is the start of the random placement of the squares. I pinned them down as I went along.


Here's another shot of the pinned squares, again, not the best photo. But you can see I've scattered them and over lapped them.



Next up, I took the whole polyester shower curtain + placed squares to my sewing machine and machine appliqued the squares down. I just sewed within 1/8" from the folded edge, around all the squares. =)

And there you have it. A quick color fix up without too much hassle. I wanted to leave a good bit of white space on the curtain. The colors were inspired by that laundry basket, which I found at the thrift store for $3. (And holy smokes, it was new with the tags on from Linens and Things!) What a find.



Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea! Did you make the liner inside the basket or did it come with?

Lauren The Artist said...

The liner came with the basket.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Love it! We're moving soon and will be getting a new shower curtain. This would be a great way to dress up a cheap one. Thanks!