Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Wonky Name Banner


Ok, I wanted to hop on the blog real quick before it lights up with swap block pictures, later this week, and tell you about this name banner I've made. Much like my attempt at the doll quilt, this is not the best thing I've ever posted, but its still meaningful to me.

I started out admiring Tonya's work over on the Lazy Gal Quilting site. I figured I'd give it a go. I read through the "how to make letters" bit... but I didn't memorize the method, nor did I print out the directions for each of my 7 letters. {whoops} I went into the sewing studio and decided to wing it. The S has the most noticable "whoops" going on, but I'm ok with it. It looks very... um... rustic. I'm sure its still nice enough to display somewhere in the house. We shall see.

My favorite part of this 40" x 10" name banner is the quilting. My MIL taught me a few design motifs while I was over at her place during the Christmas break. She taught me how to move the amazing longarm to draw free motion designs. Start with a long windy ribbon and every so often, break into a 5 pointed flower. These designs will make "stripes" along the quilt. It was super fun. It did take a bit of effort to translate those movements to my regular home sewing machine. I think it went well. Who can resist yellow springy flowers? The flowers aren't all 5 pointed though- sometimes I made the petals too big or just lost count with the "loop right, loop left, crazy 8 shape, oh, whoops, one more loopy" heh. The image is actually quite large, so if you click on it, it should grow.

Thats what I have to share today. The great Spring 2009 Quilt Block Swap is officially closed with everything set to be in the mail Monday, March 23rd. That means, today or Thursday or maybe even Friday, I'm going to have ALOT more mail in my box. AND many more pictures to share.

Thanks for following along!
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Leigh said...

I love the name banner! And really like the quilty flower. You did that on your machine?! Too much time!

Anonymous said...

I like it! It has a lot of character by not being "exact". Display it proudly!

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

I love the quilting you did!!! That's a really good idea. :)
I can't wait to see the blocks I get in the mail. Thanks for doing this Jen!!
dawn

Shelly said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the name quilt. I think it should be displayed ANYWHERE that people will see it! In other words, DON'T hide it from view. It's great! LOVE the quilting on the back as well. Those loopy-de-doo flowers are awesome. You want to teach me how to do those? LOL
Shelly