Friday, January 14, 2011

Wichita Modern Quilt Guild Secret Sister Swap


Whooo, that title is quite a mouthful!  Thank goodness I'm only typing it and not actually saying it, right?


Our Wichita chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild is going strong.  We are adding fun elements to the guild it seems, every meeting.  I'm LOVING it.  Back in November we did a name draw to get a "secret sister".  Then we each filled out a likes/dislikes sheet.  The information was shared with the group and we are to make something quilt-y/fabric-y based on the our sister's likes and dislikes.  As it turns out my secret sister and myself have very different likes and complete opposite dislikes.


In the end I went with a quilted word banner loosely based on the Word Play Quilts by Tonya Ricucci.  I followed her blog for about 3 years now, off and on.  She used to have the letters on her blog as tutorials.  I don't quite remember how to make them all and I'm pining away for the actual book.  My birthday is right around the corner (cough cough).  In fact, you only have 7 months and 2 days of shopping 'til the big day is here. (cough cough cough).


The fabric in my QuiLT banner is Art Gallery Fabrics + some white from a discount chain.  Whenever I'm fortunate enough to work with a fabric company, I find myself hoarding all the small pieces of fabric that didn't make into their projects.  Smaller scraps like this totally worked out for Tonya's letter technique.

The free motion flowers, quilted in this design, were made using this tutorial on the ReannaLily Designs Tutorial page.

Hopefully my secret sister likes the quilted banner for her studio.  I am also giving her a little pin cushion. 

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Corinne said...

Very cute. And I LOVE the first photo in your blog post...very artistic. I'm going to have to try some shots like that.

Chris said...

Looks good to me... We have similar likes and dislikes though so I guess it's not coming to my house.

I need to get to work on my project...

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Really good!