Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fabrics Matter

Have you seen a quilt made in a couple different colorways and thought "WOAH, Its completely different." I'm always thinking that. In fact, its one of the reasons I love EQ7 software. You can change up fabrics with a click and audition colors, prints, and scale within minutes.

I put the Fabric Matters to a test recently with my own pattern, Teddy Bear Circles RD2021.

The pattern was designed based on digital fabric files from Northcott Fabrics.

At the time, Northcott's Teddy Bears For All Seasons was not yet available in real life, ready to ship- so my tester made the quilt using a Moda Layer Cake. Since the 40 ten-inch fabric squares in a layer cake represent a piece of fabric from the entire line- the quilt has a much more eclectic look.
The original flannel fabrics from Northcott shipped this summer, just in time for shops to carry the flannel for fall/winter projects. I was able to make up the pattern to match the cover design. The fabric in real life was much more rich in color than the original digital files.



And once I made it in the flannel I got to thinking: "I planned this pattern design based on a modern concept and look. So- why not give it a more modern edge with some solid white and Amy Butler prints." That was that. I chopped into one of my IKEA white cotton sheets and about 2 total yards of Amy Butler fabrics. Its two prints, both from her Love collection, I think. (I might be wrong on the collection.)

I tell you, its like night and day. The variety baffles me. I'm fortunate to be able to try out the different looks in real fabric, as well as EQ7, on a quilt that is quick to make and still big enough to use or gift.

Now, to build the backs and get them quilted. I should have time nowadays, with all my office assistants back in school. =)
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Bellgirl said...

Cool! I'm still a Luddite and have to use colour pencils for this. I love the blue and red version, my favorite colours!

DLSarmywife said...

I'll be honest, the 1st 2 colorways really didn't do anything for me...BUT OMG that 3rd one is gorgeous!!! The pattern of the quilt itself looks completely different! It's amazing how just changing out the fabric changes a quilt! Bravo =D

SewCalGal said...

Great design. So fun to see people start using sheets for quilting again. This was so in vogue years ago.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com