Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Vintage Sheets



Oh man- I do love some vintage sheets. Imagine how thrilled I was to find this little baby (below) at the thrift store last week. The coolest thing about the "recycle" of these sheets is that someone had already made it into a hand-hemmed round table cloth. I took the table cloth, found the straight of grain, folded it, and went to work.


I'm making a gaucho-esque, split-skirt-type pant for my girl who loves to climb trees. She's a little girl-y, so she does still like dress-up, but she has also informed me that skirts gravely interfere with her monkey bars and tree climbing. Well- form should follow function, right?? Seeings how that was my inspiration, I thought it would only be fair to get her to climb a tree for the photo. Talk about easy requests!

Speaking of function and form- I had to make a matching headband for this kiddo. Hopefully this will keep her hair looking a bit nicer after she bolts out of the house in the mornings.

You know what else is cool about vintage sheets- they aren't going to color fade. I mean, if we're already on year 20 for this textile... its about as faded as its going to be. The next 1-2 years of washing is not going to be a deal breaker.

I did get two pillow cases and another sheet that day at the thrift store. Stay tuned. ~jen~
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

Love the cute pants!!! And what a cutie pie your daughter is!!
dawn

Anonymous said...

I love the pants and matching headband! Off da hook...

Shelly said...

Isn’t it great finding vintage sheets? Even better than not fading is that they feel so good as well! Good to see that you could find a way to make it into a functioning outfit for your not-so tomboy girl-y! Love the pic in the tree as well! ~Shelly~